Interview to Vera N. Shatalina

Vera, Dina and Arina Averin this year, started the season as part of the main team of Russia. Tell us, please, which way is behind this.
In previous seasons, they were still small, were in juniors, and only on the second year the girls stand on the workshop program. A junior, you know, is "the cat in the bag" when the child is only growing, formed when puberty begins, it happens that everything changes, so it was hard to tell. But I do not think that before they were in the shadow of the leaders. They were not included in the Youth European Championship due to the fact that there was a huge competition. After this tournament all the girls from 1999 were dropped out, in general, all the girls were injured. Some supposedly had a cursed year and has turned out simply everyone was injured: someone's leg or arm, someone has appendicitis, and this has been an endless series... And so at this time just Arina and Dina stepped forward. But, you know, they still had to "swim to the surface," because in fact they were very good. Firstly, they are smart, and secondly, such executive! For four Olympic cycles - and I have 30 years of coaching time! - No offense to any of my famous disciples I need to say I did not have such children.

- What sets among the sisters Averina?
- The sum of these children that like any coach. Obedience is not perfect. I know that, coming out on the carpet, they will do their best and maybe even more. When even mistakes happen, I cannot blame them, because I know the sport - it's not dressmaking and sewing, then enormous congestion. And besides, we have a very sophisticated kind, represent, then the unprotected foot, jumping, flexibility, stretching, plus the need to listen to music, have some unique elements... But it is necessary to do something interesting, and not just a school choreography show. And they believe in me, literally they trust. All this together these children developed.
When they got to me, the girls were very reticent, unsmiling, they were like two old ladies are right: do everything, but did not speak. We have a very good psychologist in the team, Evgenia Kuzminova that I once said, "Look, if you do not teach them to say a word, you will not have good results." I began to ask Dina and Arina and why there are so, and random things like "how do you sleep", "what do you eat"? They were shocked, because, apparently, before nobody would talk to them. Just need to put love in the child, then you will get everything.

- It's true... But it all began, perhaps not so perfect, right?
- I once said to them: girls, wait - and we will succeed. We started with the by going to   the doctors. Head coach Irina (Irina Viner) said: Check the endocrinologist. When the twins were born, children are small in stature and Dina and Arina were very. We have a very demanding sport: not only that it is necessary to have a physical presence, you need to be more beautiful. In Averina - face figurines - all good, but they were very small. And the doctor told me that it is necessary to remove the 50% load. Agree, not every coach will go to it! But I realized that there are children who do not have a lot of work, which should be just all "over his head", they are well taught.
And we with them have decided that we will follow the diet. And you know, they began to grow! Two years, they never grow up, even when they were not with me. And when we began to work again, then five growth. They were 138 cm and now they are 161 cm - this is our common victory.

- What kind of relationship do you have with Dina and Arina?
- I trust a lot on them: they are not traitors. And they also have complete trust in me: if I say that it should be, they always do. I always explain to them how to behave, what to be thankful: you got up today, and tomorrow you can fall, so you need to appreciate every day. Morning got up - thank you very much that sunshine, that’s from this day begins.
So everything came together: trust on the ability to work and, of course, a unique knowledge of the subject. Even if you tell them, so to speak, climbed in the right ear, and climbed through the left leg, they can do all this and to carry out! We are changing the program sometimes the day before the start, and it does not affect the performance.
For example, before the Moscow Grand Prix (less than a week), when we changed the music in the routine, Irina said she was not correspond to the program, and I know that she does not wish bad things, from the outside it is more visible. And we changed the music - indeed, exercise has become even better! But it is not what every child can do...
Therefore, even when the girls are small whims, I do not pay attention. I never saw dirty socks, torn slippers, from Averina always ideal objects. They remind me more and, in the evening send text messages: "Vera, you have to bring something, do not forget to do something!". I do not know why the cards do not communicate with the electronics, so that all children can do it. And I always say, "What am I going to do after they threw the gym?" This is when something happens, it will be very difficult period, because I'm very comfortable with them, and now want more, that has developed in the future. I do not know if they will achieve very good results in rhythmic gymnastics, but what I feel good with them, I know 100%.

- You get a whole team, and not just the coach and gymnast, how does it works?
- It's true. Since its one person is always very hard but I am always very sorry for coaches who have only one athlete. I have never had one pupil! I always had a lot, and even now not just Dina and Arina, I also work with Olesya Petrova, twice a European champion for juniors, which then had an injurie... And I've got a pretty little girl, she just turned 9 years old. I want to grow it to these children to Averina, because what they are able, no one knows how, is coordination at this level!
And I began to notice that when this little athlete is next to them, it adds considerably. She had for his age is able to do unique things, it has already the best in his age in Russia. She is born in 2007 - it seems that it is still almost a child chest, but in fact she was able to do so much! I'm raising it especially on Dina and Arina Averina, said to learn while they are alive (in, in sports, of course)! In general, we are a real family.

- Probably among twins have developed strong sisterhood?
- Dina and Arina are so self-sufficient, you cannot imagine! They have their own little world, and they will not let anyone go in. And I am very glad of it, because if there is somebody else in their world, they would collapse. Plus they have a very good family, there is Mom and Dad, who live entirely for these children. The sisters brought up properly. They are after training every day with teachers engaged on Skype. I once told them: "I do not need it." They passed the exams very well in the senior class last year, enrolled in a sports institute. Averina went to school when they were six years. Mom told them: "Vera, we just do not know where to go from them". They still have a third sister, the eldest, Polina, who had also engaged in gymnastics. There's a loving family, children grow in love, in abundance, all for them.

- It's on the court immediately obvious, right?
- This is the mentality, because you cannot work with disadvantaged kid so that he became the world champion in the Olympic Games. Believe me, all the same it will affect the most inopportune moment! Disadvantaged children, they can be the champions of the world in some other sports, but if the child is not in love, if the child has a family and there is to it ... are not in rhythmic gymnastics. Family - it's always a sequel, and I always look where the child is. But, by the way, Averina came to me by chance and I said that there is nothing accidental. Just once I arrived in 2011, the year for a week in the Olympic Village and they were there, came out of his Nizhny Novgorod on 10 days to try. They said that if there nobody will take, they will end up with gymnastics, because growth has not been much, and they have learnt in school is very good; they said that if a gym does not work out, they will learn better. I saw them and I say - let's try. After I was trained with them, I immediately asked myself the question: "And if I can have without them?" And I realized that actually I can't. It will be a good judge? - will not, but I get great pleasure from our everyday spent together.

- In the Olympic season, with two 17-year-old talented gymnasts, you think about the prospects of whether to go to Rio de Janeiro? Or aiming more at the next Olympic cycle?

- Do not think, honestly. I have this year will be an anniversary - 50 years old, I started to work very early, just 19 years old, and I can say that it is better not to think, how to please God. A lot of things have changed for this year, but I still did not think they want. They will represent the country, we can even get up at night and make your exercise and we treat those athletes who are always ready. Minimum injuries, a minimum of ambition and maximum diligence. That's what I can say about Averina, so I do not think anything about any Olympics, and I wish only the health of Yana Kudryavtseva, because it is a unique athlete. I'm very sick of it, and Rita Mamun! This is a very interesting girl, and not just in life, but it is "curiosity" in rhythmic gymnastics. I wish them the Olympics from the heart but we all still have time. I have only to these girls turned everything, but if all of a sudden, God forbid, and we will say (that we should go), then why not. But no more, no. I'd like to see Yana, Rita, they are worthy and they work very hard. A gold medal - no matter what the name will be there - the main thing that our country was good.

Thank you to our translator person for this amazing job!

No comments:

Post a Comment